Saturday, April 5, 2014

Two Bean Stuffed Green Peppers

Every now and then I try a Meatless Monday meal with my family.  This recipe looked good to me because I love stuffed peppers, and it calls for beans instead of ground beef so I tried it.  I loved it.  My husband did not.  (What can I say, he's generally against beans...)  I would like to make it again some day though, because I really did like it.
*quick reminder - I did not create this recipe.  I copied/pasted it from some forgotten website long ago and it's been lounging in my email archives.  If it's yours, please alert me not only so that I can direct traffic your way, but also because I'm sure you have more yummy stuff I need to make.

Two Bean Stuffed Green Peppers

stuffed green peppers Double Bean Stuffed Green Peppers

Ingredients

1 cup brown rice
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 cups cooked black beans   (I cheated and used canned beans.)
2 cups cooked red kidney beans 
1 tsp ground cumin  
Salt and pepper to taste
4 green peppers
Few pinches of Shredded cheddar cheese 
Accompaniment Suggestion: 1 bag frozen corn 

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350.
1. Cook the brown rice as directed on the package. (Takes about 45 minutes.) Substitute white rice if desired.  (I did this the day before I made the peppers.)
2. Combine cooked brown rice,  chopped onions, diced tomatoes, green chilies, cooked black beans, cooked red kidney beans, ground cumin and salt and pepper (to taste).
stuffed peppers filling Double Bean Stuffed Green Peppers
3. Slice the stem out of the top of the green pepper and place in a pot with boiling salt water for 5 minutes. Remove from water, drain well, then stuff with the filling. Top with  pinches of shredded cheese.
4. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment