Saturday, April 19, 2014

Alisha's Acorn Squash Soup


One of my oldest friends included this recipe in a collection of healthy recipes she wrote called Recipes to Save Your Life.  It's simple, healthy and my favorite squash soup ever!  Click here to see more of Alisha's recipes.

Alisha's Acorn Squash Soup


Ingredients

  • 1 tsp. chicken base (veggie works, too)
  • 1/4 C low fat milk
  • 2 roasted acorn squash (about six cups pureed)
  • 4 to 6 cups water, depending on desired consistency
  • salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste (yes nutmeg, it tastes great with squash)

Directions

To roast the squash, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, place it cut side down on a lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until soft, about 45 minutes.  Allow to cool enough to handle, then scoop out the flesh.

Puree while warm in either a blender or soup pot with a stick blender.

If you feel like it, garnish with a little sour cream... just don't over do it!

Recipe serves 6


Notes from Robyn: 

  • Sometimes I speed things up by nuking the squash (microwaving it) for about 20 minutes.  I put it in a a microwave safe dish, cut side down.  Pour about a 1/4 inch of water in, cover with plastic wrap and microwave till very tender.
  • I find the squash is easier to puree if I add the liquids to the pan first.
  • Because I don't cook much, I rarely have chicken base on hand.  I use a tsp. of chicken bouillon instead, then add a bit more if I think it needs it.  
  • If I want a heavier meal, sometimes I add 1/2 lb. italian sausage or a 1/4 lb. diced bacon.  However, that completely demolishes the healthful aspect of the original recipe.  It is super delicious though!
  • You can bump up the health factor by adding a handful of sautéed and diced kale.  This is also delicious, especially if you add a handful of sautéed onions, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment