Saturday, April 5, 2014

Slow Cooker Baked Beans

 I totally forgot I had this recipe till I started this little project, but since my eight year old simply loves baked beans, I'm happy to have rediscovered it!  I don't know yet what we'll have with them, but I'm pretty sure we should have these beans at some point this weekend.  The best part about this recipe is, this looks easy enough that my daughter can help me make them!

*quick reminder - I did not create this recipe.  I copied/pasted it from some forgotten website several years ago and it's been lounging in my email archives.  If it's yours, please alert me not only so that I can direct traffic your way, but also because I'm sure you have more yummy stuff I need to make.


Slow Cooker Baked Beans




Ingredients:
12 oz. Salt Pork, chopped into small strips
1 large onion, chopped
2 lbs. Michigan Navy Beans (if you can't find Michigan, just use Navy Beans!)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup Ketchup
3 Tbsp. Mustard
7 cups Water

Directions:
Sort your beans to make sure there are no rocks/bad beans.
Soak them in water overnight, with at enough water to cover them plus 4"
In the morning, drain and rinse your beans.
Spray your Slow Cooker Liner with non-stick spray.
Place half of your salt pork at the bottom.
Add half the beans
Top that with half of the onions.
Mix together the Brown Sugar, Ketchup and Mustard.
Pour half of this over the onion layer.
Repeat this process with the remaining salt pork, beans, onions and sauce.
Pour in your 7 cups of water.
Cover and cook on LOW for 12+ hours.  
When the mixture has thickened and turned brow, the beans are done!  If you'd like them even thicker, leave the lid off and continue cooking, checking often, until they reach desired consistency.  

No comments:

Post a Comment