Sunday, April 12, 2015

Strawberry Honey Jam - No Sugar, No Pectin

I'm always on the look out for a great jam recipe, so when I found this one I had to try it.  I was very happy that I did - it's delicious!  This recipe is a bit thinner than other jams because it doesn't have added sugar or pectin, but that just makes it healthier so I'm all for that.  Plus, because it's thinner it's also a very good ice-cream topping.  Yay!

I found this recipe and photo at Old World Garden Farms.  I retyped it for brevity, but I recommend you visit their post for more pretty pictures and detailed instructions.

Ingredients: 
  • 6 lbs fresh strawberries hulled and halved
  • 3 3/4 C raw honey
  • 2 small granny smith apples, cored and shredded
  • 1 1/2 TBS freshly squeeze lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in large stock pot.
  • While stirring, heat to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • When strawberries are soft, mash with potato masher or immersion blender until they are no longer distinguishable chunks, but not pureed.
  • Simmer for 15 to 45 minutes depending on the consistency desired.  The longer it simmers the thicker it will be, but remember it will not be as thick as jam made with pectin.
  • Jam can be placed in freezer safe jars and frozen up to six months or canned with a water bath for 10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment